SUPPORT SPECIALIST - DAY SERVICES
Summary of Position:
Responsible for providing the necessary support and personal assistance needed for special needs individuals to actively participate in ODC's Adult Day Service program.
Education and Experience
High School graduate. One (1) year of experience working with persons with disabilities or in a nursing or home health care position. Can be as a volunteer or familiar experience. Two (2) years of work experience. This position requires pre-employment medical screening and annual background checks. This position may be subject to “fit for duty” evaluations.
l. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities/Essential Functions
• Make independent decisions based on personal discretion and judgment to ensure consistency with ODC policies.
• Adhere to quality assurance and ethics standards.
• Possess knowledge of varying disabilities and their impact on functional and learning capabilities.
• Communicate and work effectively and cooperatively with all people.
• Possess knowledge and ability to develop structured, meaningful program components based on individual needs and preferences.
• Possess creative abilities to design and implement program components.
• Possess the ability to design adult-oriented activities.
• Coordinate activities based on individual preference and referral requests from case managers.
• Work with all staff to coordinate daily schedules, activities and responsibilities.
• Evaluate the strengths, abilities, and needs of adults with disabilities to make recommendations concerning goals and objectives.
• Possess ability to break tasks down to achievable components.
• Observe and record pertinent information.
• Document significant information/events.
• Provide assistance with personal care needs (i.e. toileting, medication monitoring, eating, mobility, behaviors and medical) in a discreet and respectful manner.
• Initiate and/or implement goal plans as established by individuals and their team members.
• Ability to encourage growth, learning and independence.
• Possess the ability to promote a positive, progressive program and atmosphere.
• Ability to understand and achieve program goals and outcome performance measure.
• Monitor use of equipment and supplies; ensuring safety during all programs.
• Setting up, maintaining, and dismantling equipment/supplies according to schedule of activities.
• Complete first aid, CPR and CPI training and certification if requested to.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Ability to facilitate, initiate and respond to verbal, written, computerized, telephone and fax communications. Requires capability to visually see and hear to respond quickly to individuals and situations.
• Ability to demonstrate, train and/or model job tasks/duties/responsibilities.
• Mobility to access various locations within/outside ODC facilities.
• Ability to learn and utilize training provided to safely provide personal care including but not limited to lifting, transferring, and feeding.
• Physical ability to prevent an individual from harming themselves, harming others. This can include becoming involved in a crisis intervention procedure that would involve physical intervention and participation by you. Ability to pursue and prevent individuals from eloping; ability to physically stop an individual from throwing objects, hitting, or otherwise attacking other individuals. Ability to complete training regarding these procedures and ability to physically perform intervention procedures and techniques.
• Must be able to push, carry or lift up to 50 lbs frequently – and up to 100 lbs occasionally. For wheeled devices, must be able to push up to 250 lbs occasionally.
• Physical ability to lift, utilize lift devices, support or transfer adults, male/female when assisting with toileting or personal care area such as a shower seat. Weights of individuals will vary as will personal care approaches and techniques. Must possess ability to follow training procedures and methods for lifting, supporting, and transferring.
• Ability to stoop, stand, pivot, twist, and lift over head.
REPORTS TO: Day Services Coordinator - Stevens Point
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No other staff