Summary of Position:
Prevocational-Beginnings Training Specialist provide 1-1 or small group support, training, instruction and assistance to individuals with disabilities for the purpose of increasing employment skills, social skills, and facilitating full participation in community life.
I. Education and Experience:
High School graduate. One (1) year of experience working with persons with disabilities or in a nursing or home health care position. Can be as a volunteer or familiar experience. Two (2) years of work experience. This position requires pre-employment and annual background checks. This position may be subject to “fit for duty” evaluations.
II. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities/Essential Functions:
**Following is a listing of representative examples of duties for this position; it is not considered to be a complete listing of all duties and responsibilities for the position.
· Possess awareness of special needs and the ability to provide assistance according to individual needs (i.e., medication schedule, bathroom routines, and schedules, care procedures). Makes these known to and trains other support staff.
· Work cooperatively with all people.
· Maintain a professional image while working at community sites. (see Code of Ethics)
· Work cooperatively with Employment and Connect Staff to maintain and establish job/connect sites (when applicable).
· Possess awareness of realistic work expectations regarding quality of work, and appropriate work behaviors.
· Communicate with staff at community sites and respond to training needs and/or related problems.
· Work a flexible schedule – some evening hours and occasional weekend work (when applicable).
· Perform creative problem solving as needs arise for individual at their work site or in the community.
· Perform personal care in a discreet, respectful manner (i.e.; toileting, eating, mobility, behaviors).
· Provide physical intervention if necessary to respond to client behaviors that could be injurious to others. Receive training and possess the ability to comprehend and follow through with established procedures and plans.
· Evaluate and report on the performance of adults with disabilities to make recommendations concerning goals and objectives.
· Observe and record pertinent information of assigned individuals (ie: care given, seizure activity, behavior incidents, critical incidents, etc.)
· Break tasks down to achievable components.
· Actively participate in Personal Care Worker certification program, accurately pass each competency test or have 6 months of full time hours work with people with disabilities (when applicable).
· Create “jigs” which remove the barrier preventing the person from performing the task.
· Ability to understand, follow, carry out written directions, plans, and procedures.
· Assist with and support individuals in Day Services groups by providing support in life enhancing activities that incorporate daily living skills, community and social awareness, and leisure, recreational and educational activities.
· Coordinate/Lead one weekly group in Day Services (when applicable).
· Monitors arrivals and departures, transportation information.
· Provide assistance during emergency procedures and takes responsibility for getting individuals to safe area.
· Implement training plans as established by Service Coordinator and Service Navigator.
· Supervise the work of the assigned individual including assisting with the time clock, checking quality standards, supplying materials, removing finished product, etc.
· Train individual(s) on job tasks at community work sites and within ODC programs to perform tasks or parts of tasks as abilities allow.
· Provide support and “adult-like” reassurance when needed.
· Allow individual to become as independent as possible in all aspects.
· Quality – know, understand, monitor and follow quality control procedures – complete quality inspections- notify supervisor/lead of any non-conformance- authority/responsibility to stop production due to quality issue.
· Complete first aid, CPR and CPI training and certification if requested to.
· All other duties as assigned.
III. Physical Requirements:
· Ability to facilitate, initiate and respond to verbal, written, computerized, telephone and fax communications. Requires capability to visually see and hear to respond quickly to individuals and situations.
· Ability to demonstrate, train and/or model job tasks/duties/responsibilities.
· Ability to visually see and physically perform quality inspection according to ODC’s and/or customer’s requirements.
· Mobility to access various locations within/outside ODC facilities.
· Ability to learn and utilize training provided to safely provide personal care including but not limited to lifting, transferring, and feeding.
· Physical ability to prevent an individual from harming themselves, harming others. This can include becoming involved in a crisis intervention procedure that would involve physical intervention and participation by you. Ability to pursue and prevent individuals from eloping; ability to physically stop an individual from throwing objects, hitting, or otherwise attacking other individuals. Ability to complete training regarding these procedures and ability to physically perform intervention procedures and techniques.
· Must be able to push, carry or lift up to 50 lbs frequently – and up to 100 lbs occasionally. For wheeled devices, must be able to push up to 250 lbs occasionally.
· Physical ability to lift, utilize lift devices, support or transfer adults, male/female when assisting with toileting or personal care area such as a shower seat. Weights of individuals will vary as will personal care approaches and techniques. Must possess ability to follow training procedures and methods for lifting, supporting, and transferring.
· Ability to stoop, stand, pivot, twist, and lift over head.
REPORTS TO: Wisconsin Rapids and Marshfield à Support Specialist Supervisor or Director of Community & Day Services (depending on area of focus) Stevens Point à Day Service Coordinator
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No other staff
Your application was submitted successfully.